It really is true – the older you get the faster the time flies. I can attest to this. Here we are in the middle of the year – seems like we just celebrated the New Year! Perhaps I can blame a busy schedule. We all want to feel productive. But are you enjoying the experience of your life?
Summer is typically the time for vacations – getting away, enjoying down time, being with family and friends, enjoying the good weather or traveling someplace new. Take some time this summer in your down time to look at where you spend time; to see where you can experience more of what you really want in life. Let’s face it, waiting until you have time to do what you want may never come.
Here are some reflective questions you might ask yourself:
- If I could spend time doing what I love most, what would it be? What gives me the greatest sense of fulfillment and real purpose?
- How can I bring more joy into my life each day? For some of us, it is spending time with good friends, enjoying play time with the kids – just being silly.
- What brings out my creative juices? All of us have a creative side. What is yours? Could be something as small as completing a puzzle to remodeling your home. Hi Lou – this is for you!!! When we are creating something new – even a project at work, it challenges us to be in the moment to invent new things or new approaches to what we are doing.
- What would I like to say “NO” to more often? This is a big one as it impacts how we spend our time. Many times we say yes when we really want to say no. What if you could choose to liberate yourself from many social obligations? Or say “NO” to people you really do not want to spend time with?
- What have I been putting off or waiting until I have time for? We all have good intentions – visiting friends, learning something new, taking a trip – and yet, we never seem to find the time to just DO IT. What if you did have time? What would happen? What might you experience?
As you reflect on these questions, do not judge yourself with “should have” and “could have”. See this as a new opportunity to take the time to do what fulfills you and have the experiences you really want. It is your choice. And if you do not take the time to create what you want – who will?
Warmest wishes, Barbara